Tuesday, February 20, 2007

PICTURES & OUR NEW PROJECT!

Below are the pictures Alyssa's orphanage sent to us. As I mentioned in an earlier blog, the Director found out she was not allowed to send me pictures of the children. They may be nervous about me posting them on the web - I did assure the Director I wouldn't post any pictures or information that she didn't want on the internet. Maybe after time, she will come to trust us more in this area.


With the donation we sent the Director was able to purchase the following items:

6 snowsuit outfits for babies
3 outfits for the children between the ages of 2-3
6 outfits for the children between 8-12
10 really cool outfits for the children between 12-20 years old.
The Director also purchased some snacks for all the children!


Snowsuits for the little ones. These look similar to what Alyssa was wearing on Gotcha Day.

The outfits for the toddlers...if you're like me you are trying to figure out how many boys & girls live at the orphanage according to the outfits bought. Unfortanately, in China, boys and girls wear the same colors and styles. They don't usually distinguish "boy" colors or "girl" colors.

Very cool outfits for the 8-12 year olds. Looks like warm jackets, sweaters and jeans.

Again, very nice outfits for the 12-20 year olds. Looks like jackets, shirts and jeans.

The snack...not sure what it is but hopefully they thought it was yummy :-)

Now...who's waiting for the exciting news?!

I have been in contact with Love Without Boundaries many times over the last year. I began working with their organization a few months ago as a Foster Care Coordinator for one of the orphanages they support. I gave up that position for a NEW, EXCITING POSITION with Love Without Boundaries. My new role is "Love Without Boundaries Canada Coordinator"! Yes, you guessed it, we are starting a Love Without Boundaries right here in Canada! There will be LOTS more information on this as we are just in the beginning stages but spread the word that we (as in Canadians) will be fundraising to provide education, foster care, nutrition and medical programs for children in China. When our LWB Canada Board is set up we will be able to choose what orphanges to work in and send our Canadian volunteers to China to volunteer in our many programs. This is so exciting!!!! I will be sending out an official email from LWB with more details and a call for any people who are interested to join us. SO STAY TUNED!

The second bit of great news:

I went to the Wesleyn Church here in Ch'town with my friend Peggy a couple of weeks ago. I met a wonderful lady by the name of Bev. She told me she had been praying for the orphans in China for SEVEN YEARS! Alyssa was the first chinese child she had met in person who had been adopted from an orphanage. She was very taken with Alyssa and with her adoption story. She called me a couple of weeks ago and said she and her sisters would love to do something to help the children still living at Alyssa's orphanage. They decided they would make beautiful, warm, fleece blankets for all the children! That will be such a wonderful gift for each of the children. To add to this already touching story, Bev and her sisters asked me if they could name their mission "Alyssa's Kids". Isn't that so nice?! I was moved to tears when she told me.

It is so exciting to see how many people are wanting to be involved with these beautiful children. Even though they have not found their forever families they are loved all around the world.

People have been emailing us about sending in donations - we are thrilled to take these and pass them on to our contact in China. Unfortunately, we are not able to give receipts for Income Tax purposes right now. We are hoping to find a way to do this through my home church in Nova Scotia so we will keep everyone posted on that status. They have been incredibly supportive with our adoption even though I haven't lived there for 15 years! In the meantime, if you would still like to send donations, we will gladly receive them and direct them to our Chinese contact and then on to Alyssa's orphanage.

NOW...FOR THIS MONTH'S PROJECT...CRIB MATTRESSES and TOYS!!!!

The Director let us know that they do need 6 crib mattresses (oh how I wish I could take those 6 babies home!!!) and they would also love to be able to buy new toys for the children. We are up for the mission!!!

Another huge need at the orphanage is baby formula. We would like to be able to provide this for the orphanage on a monthly basis as it is an on-going need. The cost each month for the formula is $540 Canadian.

We will think of a fundraiser that our family can do so we can help raise some of the funds for the formula....needing ideas.....

Tomorrow I will post the information the Director gave me about the children at the orphanage.

With lots and lots of excitement!

Tammy



8 comments:

Natalie & Daniel Arsenault said...

Wow! So much news!! THis is all very wonderful. I would love to help out with Love without Boundaries...they support Mei Lin's orphanage(http://web.tampabay.rr.com/donovans/QuJiang%20SWI.htm) and I would love to give back in some way. We actually found a picture of Mei Lin on their website! So, count me in!
Natalie

Lisa L said...

Wow Tammy! Congratulations! You are big time now:) I am in awe of how God is using you to touch the lives of so many. I hope that just because you are no longer Qiang's Foster Care Coordinator doesn't mean that I won't hear from you. I believe God placed you in my life for a reason. Blessings, Lisa L

Journey To Our Baby Sister.... said...

WOW Tammy what amazing news!!! I can't wait to hear more about all the plans you have and hope to help out in some way once LWB Canada gets going!!!!

You are an inspiration to everyone!!

Cindy Leger

Deb said...

Wow they were able to get lots of stuff! Very impressive.
Congrats on your success.

Deb said...

Oh Forgot to mention we have Nichole and Bobby from NB who were in your travel group in our group too!!

Tao's Mommy said...

Ahh Tammy that is wonderful news!! I'm trying to catch up on everyone's blogs and emails since I have been on cloud 9 these past few months. You & your family have a heart of GOLD!!!
I would love to help out with the LWB anyway I could here in Sask....So count me in aswell!!

Alex and Cass said...

Tammy this is all so exciting. It is amazing how your family is reaching out and your passion will pull people in as well.
Let's see what we can do!

J Brant said...

Congratulations on your new position. Again, Tammy you are an inspiration!!! I love that about you, I only met you a couple of times and there is a light that radiates from you. You are such a beautiful and giving person. I hope to help out in the future.
Again congrtas,
Love,
Jen